Detroit 1866 - 1955 Congregational churches in the city began with First Congregational Church of Detroit in 1844, which then planted Second Congregational Church of Detroit in 1866. These two churches made several moves north on and near Woodward Avenue as the population of Detroit grew and expanded.
North Congregational Church was founded in 1901 as the merger of Second Congregational Church of Detroit and a Sunday School class from First Congregational Church of Detroit. The church represented in its worship dignity without formalism, a reasonable and inspiring faith, and service to the city. It offered no creedal or ceremonial barriers, asked only that a covenant expressing love of God and humanity and discipleship to Jesus Christ bind its members.
Southfield 1955 - 1993 The congregation moved into a new contemporary building on Northwestern Highway in Southfield, Michigan in 1955. During the almost forty years in Southfield the church became known for its involvement in the community and for its loving arm that reached back into the city where it was given birth. It helped found the Detroit Council of Churches (now The Metropolitan Christian Council, Detroit-Windsor) and the Ecumenical Institute for Jewish-Christian Studies (now part of the Michigan Roundtable for Diversity and inclusion). It was active in the CROP Hunger walk, the Martin Luther King Holiday Taskforce, and the Southfield Emergency Services programs. In addition to its local involvement North Congregational Church helped form the National Association of Congregational Christian Churches.
Farmington Hills 1993 - present After renting transitional space from the Sisters of Mercy the church moved to a new building inspired by colonial New England church architecture in 1995. The church expanded its range of activities while maintaining its focus on missions and interfaith collaboration. By adding Crossroads in Detroit, Source of Universal Love (SOUL) in Farmington, Farmington/Farmington Hills Foundation for Youth and Families, Farmington Neighborhood House, CARES of Farmington Hills, the Farmington Area Interfaith Association and other organizations to those we support with donations and volunteers the congregation continues to live its mission. – “We are gathered for worship of God and service to humanity.”